Popular marijuana terms (words) you'll hear from cannabis consumers are not what they used to be (in the days of old). Take for instance, Dab, Vape, and Spliff. Do you know what these words mean?
I used to think I was familiar with mainstream marijuana terms, but the "basic" terminology used by those who partake in weed consumption has changed over the years. In most cases it is due to advancing technology in ways to smoke weed. New terms have become popular, while others have fallen to the wayside. If you are looking for a full-blown, every term ever imagined guide, you'll be happier with this most excellent List of Marijuana Slang Terms from The Weed Blog that I "reefer" to from time to time.
I myself prefer not to sift through hundreds of words when I just want to know the meaning of something I heard used recently but don't know what it means, so here is a pretty basic guide. There are a gazillon marijuana terms out there, utilized by those deeply into the lingo. I hope you find this list helpful, and if so, please share the page with others.
Toke on 🙂
Highly Used Marijuana Terms
- 420 - 420 has become an unofficial symbol for the use and enjoyment of marijuana. The time, "4:20" pm is used like the old "5:00" pm (as in, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" - meaning it was time to kick back and relax, because the workday had ended). 420 is used to indicate it is "time to light up". Over the years, 4/20 (April 20th) has come to be known as "Marijuana Appreciation Day," or "Weed Day". The term 420 was first used in 1970 at San Rafael High School by some students who would get together to smoke dope and scout for pot fields after school and extra curricular activities had ended, basically about 4:20 pm.
- BHO - Abbreviation for Butane Hash Oil. A concentrated cannabis extract made by applying butane solvent to the flower resin of the cannabis plant. It is inhaled through a vapor-type device.
- Blunt - Marijuana rolled up in cigar paper. Typically a large cannabis cigar.
- Bowl - The area to load marijuana on drug paraphernalia (bong, pipe, etc.). "Let's smoke a bowl."
- Bud - The potent part of a female marijuana plant (the flower), trimmed down to round or pointed "buds". A bud
- CBD - The abbreviation for cannabidiol. CBD is a strong chemical compound in cannabis that has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-anxiety properties, but does not produce the psychoactive effects (the "high" or "stoned" feeling) that THC provides.
- Cannabinoid - The chemical compound secreted by cannabis (marijuana) flowers.
- Cone - A cone is a type of cannabis cigarette that is more conical than a typical joint or cigarette.
- Dab - A small amount of cannabis concentrate (oil, wax or other form) to be smoked (inhaled). There are many other terms associated with "dabbing", here is an excellent resource if you'd like to know more of this particular terminology: High Times Official Dab Dictionary
- Doobie - A marijuana cigarette.
- Glass - A hard, transparent concentrate. As in amber or harlequin glass. A high potency cannabis concentrate similar in looks to real glass which is made using solvents to extract cannabinoids from marijuana bud resin.
- Hash - Hash is comprised of the resin from flowers of the cannabis plant which is compressed into small blocks. The primary active substance is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Hash (or Hashish) is strong and tastes like Marijuana.
- High - A term used to describe a state of mind when one is feeling the affects of marijuana.
- Hit - An inhale of marijuana (one breath). "Have a hit of this new marijuana strain."
- Pot - Slang for marijuana and cannabis.
- Pothead - Someone who smokes a lot of marijuana.
- Joint - A marijuana cigarette.
- K2 - A synthetic chemical compound sold as incense that some feel has a similar effect to smoking marijuana.
- Kief - Dried resin in from a cannabis bud. Known to produce an intense high.
- Lid - One ounce of marijuana.
- Log - A cannabis cigarette.
- Mary Jane - Nickname for marijuana.
- Matchbox - Quarter ounce of marijuana (about six marijuana cigarettes).
- Pot - Slang for marijuana.
- Reefer - Marijuana cigarette or just marijuana.
- Roach - A partially smoked marijuana cigarette.
- Roach Clip - Holds a partially used marijuana cigarette to make it easier to smoke.
- Shatter - A high-potency form of marijuana derived from butane hash oil. The substance is a thin, hard, translucent layer resembling glass, which is broken (shattered) into smaller pieces for use. It is typically heated and inhaled through a vaporizer.
- Shotgun - The act of inhaling marijuana smoke from another’s exhale of the same.
- Spice - A synthetic chemical compound sold as incense that some feel has a similar effect to smoking marijuana.
- Spliff - A large marijuana cigarette.
- Stash - The quantity of cannabis a person has. "Johnny usually has a large stash."
- Stoned - Under the influence of marijuana
- Stoner - A person who smokes a large amount of marijuana.
- THC - The abbreviation for tetrahydrocannabinol. A chemical compound secreted by cannabis flowers that produces a "high" or "stoned" feeling.
- Toke - To inhale one breath of marijuana. "Take a toke of this fine marijuana."
- Vape - To inhale or exhale marijuana vapor (steam). One would "vape" an electronic cigarette or vaporizer pen.
- Vapes - Mechanisms used to inhale forms of marijuana.
- Viper - One who uses a vaporizer pen to smoke marijuana.
- Wax - A thick concentrated (non-transparent waxy ) form of oils extracted from marijuana that delivers a potent dose of THC to the user. It is used with a vapor-type device.
- Weed - Slang for marijuana and cannabis.
Photos and more in-depth definitions for some of the newer marijuana terms, particularly those dealing with concentrates such as kief, amber glass and wax are offered through the Colorado Pot Guide's marijuana concentrates section.
Women sharing a joint